Monday, April 2, 2007

Progressing...

The Jaywalker socks are progressing. All the comments you've seen are true - Thanks, Grumperina - the pattern becomes second nature very quickly and helps in keeping track of the stitch count; and it makes the occasional 'un-knitting' easy. Easily distracted, even on an 8-stich count, I do get plenty of practice going back a bit. But the pattern doesn’t let me get too far before it points out that I’ve run amuck. Jaywalker is plenty do-able for a relatively new sock knitter. I’ve knit a couple of sock patterns, to good effect, but there are still times when I’m “flying on instruments,” trusting the pattern instructions for the heel turn or the gussets to yield the desired results. So far, so good on that score…

Still learning (I've only been seriously knitting since Fall '03), it's very satisfying to observe the 'getting better' part. And the 'aha!' moments of recognition. Now I see the knitting logic of the heel turn… Now I can ‘read’ the stitches of the short row sequence…

And the gorgeous colors of my Schaefer Anne superwash merino blend are working out beautifully, with the pattern showing off the yarn to better advantage.

No comments: